When we think about netball, we often think of a group of women playing the game. However, we know that’s not true! Netball is a game anyone can play at any age and reap the rewards of this physical activity. It’s such a social sport that it can be played both indoors and outdoors. Not only this, it’s a great form of cardio exercise, which we’re eager to tell you all about.
Want to move fast? Jump to the right section below.
The Benefits of Netball
Netball is a non-contact sport; it’s an intense, fast-paced team sport that requires you to exercise both mentally and physically. Players have a dedicated position in which they are only allowed in certain areas of the court. Thinking tactically for each player is a must not only on a personal level but also to help get the ball into the net with your team members. There are many benefits to playing netball; we’ve listed a few below.
- Improved agility – Netball involves quick movements, jumping, fast change of direction and footwork. All of which aid in the development of agility skills.
- Cardio workout – It’s a great cardio workout as you race across the court to gain possession of the ball.
- Motor and cognitive skills – It’s great at improving fine motor and cognitive skills in young children as there are lots of elements to playing the game, including: throwing, catching, shooting, dodging and many more.
- Develops depth perception – Netball is great for developing depth perception as you are both catching and throwing the ball, sometimes a considerable distance.
- Increased reaction times – Frequently playing the game will result in increased reaction times as you fight to gain possession of the ball and dodge opponents.
- Develop teamwork skills – This is a fundamental skill that is developed throughout all team sports. Having to work as a team in netball, as with sport as a whole, is a great skill to have. It is also a handy transferrable skill that can be used at school and in the workplace.
- Socialising – Socialising is great for mental health. As Netball is a team sport, it’s a guaranteed social event. It’s also a great place to meet like-minded people and make friends.
- Boost confidence – Playing netball encourages physical activity; it’s a social sport that develops teamwork, which can lead to a boost in self-esteem.
- Improved problem & decision-making skills – Training practices that include different problem-solving scenarios help develop these skills for all ages. When coaches question certain aspects of the games or training session, they build on your problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Teaches how to deal with adversity -Through experiencing match losses or injuries. This is especially helpful for young children as it also develops a team player mentality.
Give It A Go!
Give it a try, find a local group and give Netball a go. It’s so easily accessible and requires very little equipment. All you really need is sensible clothing and footwear, as established clubs/teams will be able to provide the rest. You could even rent a court at a local sports centre which will often supply the post balls and bibs if needed, so grab a group of friends and get out there.
Before beginning any exercise or nutrition program, consult your physician, doctor or other professional. This is especially important for individuals over the age of 35 or persons with pre-existing health problems. Exercise.co.uk assumes no responsibility for personal injury or property damage sustained using our advice.
If you experience dizziness, nausea, chest pain, or any other abnormal symptoms, stop the workout at once and consult a physician or doctor immediately.